Tuesday 14 October 2014

Top 5 Gluten-Free Products

I just thought I'd tell you all about my top 5 gluten-free products that I am currently enjoying:

1. Sainsburies free-from porridge oats.

I've been enjoying porridge for breakfast made with these oats and lactose-free milk. The oats are so tasty on their own that I've found I haven't needed to add anything else in for flavour but you could try adding a dash of maple syrup, a handful of raisins or a spoonful of fruit compote.
I also used them in a crumble recipe at the weekend and they were an amazing addition to the topping for a twist on a typical British crumble. 


2. Warburtons Fruity Sandwich Thins


If you are a fan of Warburtons seeded or white sandwich thins then you will love the new orange and sultana thins. Handy as a quick breakfast or snack, these are delicious on their own with butter or with a mashed banana compote (simply mash a banana and add a sprinkling of cinnamon if you like and heat it briefly in the microwave). Alternatively, Warburtons has a great recipe search database where you can search for recipes by product. Here are their suggestions for the fruity thins ->
http://www.newburnbakehouse.com/recipes?product=4111&field_meal_type_value=All&=Search

Fruity thins as hot cross buns













3. Marks and Spencer Victoria Sandwich Cake

Shop-bought gluten-free cakes are often not worth the extortionate prices and leave you disappointed with the dry texture and over-sweetened flavour. However, the M and S cakes do not go along with this trend and this one is my particular favourite. If you have only recently been diagnosed, it is very similar to their 'normal' Victoria sandwich. The flavour is still the same with the soft buttery sponge and ample buttercream and jam - the only difference between the gluten-free version and the original is a subtle change in the texture. More gluten-free cakes like the M and S ones please!

4. Wholebake 9Bar Peanut (available from Waitrose, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburies, Holland and Barrett, E H Booth, other health food stores)

These snack bars are really handy for a healthy tea-break or packed lunch treat. Handmade and free from gluten, wheat, egg and yeast, they are suitable if you also suffer from egg-intolerance. They are crammed full of healthy seeds and nuts and are entirely free from preservatives. They are also held together with golden syrup rather than honey and so could be a snack bar of choice for you if you are on the low-FODMAP diet and hence honey is off limits for the moment.

9bar peanut bar - both healthy and delicious!








5. DS Crispbreads

Finally, I have to give a mention to DS Crispbreads - they served as my classic staple food throughout my European and American ventures in the summer and when I go travelling again I will make sure there's plenty of these in my suitcase in case of an emergency. I'm still favouring them back in the UK as an alternative to sandwiches in a packed lunch. I love them simply with peanut butter spread on the top but you could also try them with cream cheese and smoked salmon, jam, houmous or anything else you can think of really. They go with sweet or savoury toppings and I think they should be permanent staple in any gluten-free kitchen cupboard!

Ultimate essential for any gluten-free traveller












So, there's my current top 5 - more to follow shortly as I'm trying out all sorts of new products after becoming very over-excited by the huuuuge Sainsburies free-from isle near my new house.

No comments:

Post a Comment